Monday, June 05, 2006

I don't like jazz

Okay, what's the big deal about jazz? On Saturday, I was at my work's summer BBQ Funfest, and the topic of jazz came up. People were horrified that I don't like jazz.

I don't hate jazz. In fact, I know how to play two different instruments (piano and bass guitar), and can appreciate jazz technically. And some of the faster stuff is okay. However, at best, I'm indifferent to jazz. At worse, it bores me to tears.

See, I'm not one of those types who likes to mellow out, glass of wine in hand, relaxing on a nice rainy day, listening to jazz. Jazz puts me to sleep. That whole scenario puts me to sleep. On a rainy day, I'd be doing something, like cleaning. Or purging. Or surfing the Internet. Or shopping at the mall.

I need to move around. I love dancing, and most jazz pieces, really you can't dance to. Okay, so you can swing to some of it, and that's kinda cool, but otherwise forget it. I need a regular, fast, pounding beat to shake my booty to.

It's not like I'm not going to give jazz a chance musically. One day I try playing some jazz riffs on my bass guitar.

But ask me to listen to it and like it? Forget it.

No comments: