Sunday, January 07, 2007

Pride & Prejudice: The Original

In some circles, the 1940 version of Pride and Prejudice with Sir Laurence Olivier is considered to be the first adaptation of the novel put onto film. Well, this beauty finally came out on DVD a few months ago, and I was just waiting until I could find enough items to get free shipping on Amazon.ca to buy it.

I've seen this movie before many years ago, but after re-watching it again, this is still one of my favourites. This is also one of the adaptations that is by far, the furthest from the book's plotline and characterization. And even that aside, the costumes are all in the wrong period (the actresses look like they are wearing Victorian dresses, when this story actually took place in the Georgian era, about several decades earlier.) I couldn't stop laughing at the uber puffy sleeves, it made all the actresses look like they were wearing wings!

Now that I have the 1940, 1980, 1995 and 2005 versions, I'm planning on having a Pride & Prejudice marathon in the near future. That's about 13 hours of Lizzy, Mr. Darcy and the rest of the gang. I can't wait!!

ETA: I'd forgotten to mention that this movie uses my favourite word and the name of my blog: flibbertigibit. I was stoked when Lady Catherine used it. Yes, I'm a loser.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sign me up for the P&P marathon!! :P