Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mobile Web

I read this article which commented on how the next wave of the Internet will be Mobile Web. Basically, it states that people will be doing more Internet surfing on a smart phone than on a PC.

The cell phone makers certainly know that this going to be a big thing, so they are going to do all they can to help it along. The other day, I was at a Blackberry demo (the sales guy was showing a pretty cool device that will allow you to hook your Blackberry to a projector to show Power Point presentations, it was pretty cool, much better than lugging around a laptop) and the sales guys had mentioned that in 2007 and 2008, RIM will be releasing smart phones with higher download speeds, to help boost the abilities of mobile web.

I personally am all for it. There have been times when I had to find information, and wished that I had the ability to find that information while out and about. Or if I'm not at my PC, I would like to be able to purchase something online when I want, and not have to wait. Better use of my time, I have to say.

I have a smart phone that is ready for Mobile Web. It's got a Opera browser that I've been itching to try out for some time now. So what's holding me back?

The article says it quite well.
One of the biggest obstacles to mass adoption of the wireless Internet remains the high rates phone companies are charging, especially in Canada.
Let's face it, I refuse to pay $45 per month for 0.5MB of data, and this is on top of my regular monthly cell phone plan. Considering that many files, including Internet pages, are much larger that this, my monthly allotted usage would be gone in a blink of an eye. Or more realistically, Rogers (my carrier) would start charging me for the extra data packet used.

I really don't like the fact that Canadians have this culture where they are always slow to embrace new technology, and the high prices are certainly not helping. So to Rogers, and all the other Canadian carriers out there, get with the program, and lower your prices if you want people to start using it. I'm a willing participant, but I would like to get more value for my money.

No comments: