Tuesday, August 15, 2006

KOOKY: Choosing a new boss

I'm in a unique position at work: I get to choose my new boss.

So my old boss had decided to take on another position. While I'm glad for him, that just means that things are kinda at a stand-still operationally. Don't get me wrong, things are still getting done, but it's a "wait-until-the-new-boss-is-hired-before-we-start-anything-new-and-revolutionary" situation.

What's unique about this is 1) I've never had to interview a boss before. Peers yes. 2) How many places allow peons to choose their boss? Not many. So I'm trying to make the best of it as I can.

I had volunteered to be one of the people to be on the selection committee. Needless to say, it's been interesting so far. Trying to define what I want as a manager, how to go about choosing that person, and defining what is best for the team is not easy: people have different ideas and different priorities. Trying to find someone to fit that criteria is even more daunting.

I'll let you know how things turn out...

1 comment:

Gwynabella said...

Picking your own boss. It's like the reverse Apprentice.