Wednesday, March 15, 2006

KOOKY: "Beware the Ides of March"

Ever since I learnt about Julius Caesar being betrayed by his friend Brutus on the Ides of March, I've always been a little leary of what may befall me on this day.

Well, nothing much really. Nothing bad anyways.

Instead, I had a pretty good day:
- Today is payday
- We got our new water cooler with the hot water tap (well, I was excited about it!)
- I got to meet my friend A. for lunch
- I will soon be getting a $3,000-ish bonus as the Association that I belong to at work is going to lock us in a four-year contract with the provincial government. It also guarantees that we will be getting a set pay increase over the next four years and some extra money for medical expenses that our benefits don't cover. (I'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole being-a-public-servant-thing and terms like grievances, negotiations and ratification are still foreign concepts to me. But if you really think about it, it is my money to begin with. University pays Irene salary<-- Government gives university money<-- Irene pays Government taxes. See, it's a vicious cycle).

Whoo! Maybe I shouldn't have to worry so much about the Ides of March any longer.

I did have to (once again) try to configure an application that I know very little about, and have had almost no training using. It's pretty frustrating that I need to go through this each and every time, but somehow I manage to muddle through it with help from others. Hey, I'm in IT, and it's part of IT's nature to be difficult. Sucky, but it doesn't go away, so you learn to live with it.

If Julius had it so good...

No comments: