Monday, May 22, 2006

Movie Review: The Da Vinci Code

SPOILER ALERT for both movie and book (don't say I didn't warn ya!)

After reading a lot of bad reviews for the movie, I had to take a step back and un-remember what was in the novel and ignore pretty much what was being said in the press regarding the movie. So I sat back and tried to enjoy the movie for what it is.

Quick Points - Things I Liked:
  • Sir Ian McKellen: His acting was superb as always, and pretty much stole the show.
  • Paul Bettany: despite the makeup, still has a yummy body, and was a half-decent crazed monk.
  • The computer graphics were seamless and very believable
  • For those who haven't read the book, they had changed the ending slightly, but it still worked in context of the movie plot
  • I thought they did a creditable job explaining all the history, etymology, symbolism stuff in the book
  • The action and suspense were well done.
  • It followed the book fairly closely
  • Audrey Tautou: she's hot (at least I think so). You gotta hand it to the French for propagating such beautiful women. If hubby were ever re-marry, he should try French =P
Things I didn't like:
  • Tom Hanks: B-O-R-I-N-G. Sorry, but his acting wasn't remarkable, and I still think they could have casted better.
  • Audrey Tautou: She was also boring. But the worst part was that I felt zero chemistry between her and Tom Hanks. Also I don't think her character was very well developed in the movie
  • My friend "N" said that there was too much talking. For those who've read the book, you may feel that way, but the background information is mainly for those who are unfamiliar with the story.
  • Although I felt that the book's plot was a bit dodgy, it became even more apparent on screen. Plus there were a lot of unaccounted-for plot holes that wouldn't have made sense to those who hadn't read the book.
  • They changed the ending. I still think that the book's ending was better. It would have made it more meaningful for Sophie and not seem like such a cop-out.
After all that, I give the movie 7 out of 10. Enjoyable enough on it's own, but the script needs more work. Watch the movie first then read the book to fill in the holes.

No comments: