Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Google slowly takes over the universe...

I've just started playing around with Google Notebook, and I'm loving it so far! I've heard of this software from a monthly email that I get from Google. So I decided to try it out for my hunt for accommodations in Edinburgh when we go in September.

I was a little apprehensive at first when I was told that I had to install a little plug-in. After all we are discouraging our users from installing Google Toolbar as there have been reports that some of your information on your computer can get stored elsewhere. Serious security breeches for us. (And really, if you need a tool to find a file or content on your computer, you really need to organize yourself better).

However, it definitely integrates nicely with my Firefox version 1.5 browser. I'm guessing that the good folks at Google are using some form of AJAX to get the tool working?

In any case, it's pretty darn cool. Now instead of bookmarking sites and trying to remember information that I've read all over the place, and writing it down, I can put everything in one place. I particularly like the drag-and-drop features as well as the ease of being able to add something (whether it be text or images) to my notebook with a click of the mouse button. Plus, you can publish the page to the Internet should you choose too. Neat!

So far, my only complaint is that sometimes it adds a new note instead of adding to a current one, but this may mean that I have to learn how to work around it's limitations.

But I still give it a thumbs up. If anyone knows me well enough, I HATE paper, and I would rather do away with it altogether. This is definitely a step in the right direction for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I installed it as soon as I saw your post. Neat little tool.