Thursday, April 13, 2006

"Anne, your hair!"

I can't sleep, so I'd decided to blog about something that's been rattling around my brain for a while.

I've been recently reading Anne of Green Gables and am really loving the stories all over again. I've been considering buying the DVDs, but have hesitated, partly because of cost (each one is $40+, and there are three movies), but mostly because of something else: hair.

Or more specifically, 80s hair.

Mind you, the original Anne of Green Gables (the one with Megan Follows), was filmed in the 80s, and I didn't notice it too much then; I was too absorbed in the story. But now, looking at the pictures of actors in costume, the 80s hair really stands out. Perhaps the hair and make-up people were historically correct with the hairstyles, but big curly teased up hair screams, well, 1980s.

For example:

Mrs. Allen










Prissy Andrews








And the most shocking one of all, Gilbert Blythe








There is more, but I couldn't find good pictures on the Internet.

Now as much as I loved the 1985 version and its sequel, I'm convinced that we should have another re-make of AofGG. And rid ourselves of the horrid hair!

And just because I had to add my favourite scene in:

No comments: