Tuesday, January 10, 2006

My stomach hates me, my spine loves me (for now)


I just came back from my first Pilates class of the year. I've actually been doing Pilates for 5-6 years now, but I haven't done it for the few weeks because I was busy with Christmas holidays. Now that the holidays are over, I can get back to my regular routine.

I'm normally hunched over a computer for about 12 hours a day, both at home and at work. Consequently, I suffer from upper back problems, and which have been exacerbated from a very long bought of very high stress (seven months) a couple of years ago.

What a lot of people know about Pilates is that it strengthens your core muscles. It probably does give you defined abs over time, but you also need to shed that layer of fat on your belly before you can see the results. (At least I do). But that's not it's only purpose.

Pilates also helps you stretch and decompress your spine. After class, I felt taller, and the urge to naturally slump back into a slouched position is gone. My spine loves me. My upper back muscles love me. And even my stomach loves me, even though I'm hurting from a month's worth of non-use.

It's all good until I sit myself down in front of the computer, like I'm doing now. I'm even doing work at home, when I should be doing homework. Then everything goes to pot again. Sigh.

No comments: