Tonight I spent 5 hours going through proposals. This was my second round going through them, and trust me, reading similar legalese several times in a row is not fun. I've been wanting to stick a hot poker in my eye since last Friday.
So after reading these proposals, I've come up with some pointers for those of you who write these things:
- If you are going to make assumptions, please state them.
- Have someone double check your write-up. After staring at something for a long time, things will creep in that you swore wasn't there a minute ago
- Read the instructions and follow them exactly.
- This is about the only time you can sell yourself to us, so to a really good job. Give me lots of detail to help me make my decision.
- I'd rather you be upfront and honest than make up a bunch of BS, even if you know that it may not help your bid. Honesty is the best policy.
- Please don't have your documentation contradict itself.