Saturday, October 27, 2007

Too much stuff


I heard this on the radio the other day. The DJ was reading people's comments online about the fire that is raging through Southern California, and he came across this person's comments...
In nearby Escondido, Susan Healey returned after two days with friends to a house unscathed except for heavy soot in the swimming pool.

"I don't think after something like this you're ever not different," the middle-school teacher said. "I had two days to think about, what are the most important things in my house? And they all fit in my car. I realize now how much junk I have."
It got me thinking, are there things that I can live without? The answer is yes. I posed this question to Hubby, and we came to the conclusion that we both could fit everything that was important to us in our one car. So, is it necessary to have so many things? And the things that we insist on holding on to, and are things "that might be useful one day", or are they really "junk"?

Certainly in this world of consumerism, we have the ability to obtain items when we want, but how often do we really question if it's really needed? And similarly, are we holding on to things that are simply collecting dust, and could either be reused or recycled by someone else? And did we really need to buy that item in the first place? Not until we are forced to think about it will we know.

No comments: