Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Lemonade???

To my loyal readers, I apologize for not blogging lately. It's not that I don't have anything to say, I always have something to say: I'm very opinionated, and have strange thoughts, and unusual interests. Just ask Hubby. I've been pretty busy: last week, we had visitors stay over at our house; I was dealing with my pain in the butt; work was busy; Evil Homework is, well, there.

Well, said visitors are gone, my pain in the butt is almost gone, I'm glad I'm actually going back to the gym again, and work is still busy.

Anyways, I've been in panic mode with my school project because I have about 6 months left to finish everything. We are (my best guess) after 2 years, only about 1/2 to 2/3 done, no more than that. I recently had a kind of an epiphany about it.

Lemme explain where I'm coming from with the though first. My current career goal is to move into Project Management. Let's face it, I'm not getting any younger, and while technology still interests me, I don't have the same drive and energy as I once did to keep my skills current, so I'm moving towards more soft skills.

Don't get me wrong, being a Project Manager in IT still means that you need to stay on top of the technology, but it also means that you pay less attention to the technical details, because quite frankly, they are for someone else to worry about.

Anyway, back to the epiphany.

I just realised that how I should be treating the whole school project thing at this point is pretending that I'm a project manager whose been hired to get this train wreck completed on time. And I am approaching the project, and especially my clients, with this attitude. After all, my real job will throw me into situations like this eventually, I might as well start here and get some practice.

Really, nothing much has changed, but my attitude. If you have lemons, make lemonade. I've finally figured out how to make the lemonade. But as my attitude has changed, so has my approach to my dilemma.

While I'm still not happy with the progress, I did have a very long talk with my clients, and I think they finally (I hope) realise what my frustrations were all along. I'm not holding my breath to see if I did get through to them, because, well, sometimes when you try to convince someone of something, some people just never get it. I'm just going to take it one day at a time.

After this revelation, I did feel less burdened and less anxious. My unease hasn't gone away completely, but I am at least feeling a little bit better. However, I've been down this same path before, so I'm trying to be positive about it all. Attitude is key this time around.

No comments: