Sunday, January 17, 2010

Book Review - Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters



I think I like this book more than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (PPZ). Like the predecessor, the author of Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (SSSM) takes a well knows Jane Austen novel and puts his own twist in it. I felt that the book's altered universe was better woven into the main plot of the story than PPZ. Certainly, despite the tongue-in-cheek nature of SSSM, the altered universe was much less awkwardly inserted into the story.

Sense and Sensibility is my least favourite Jane Austen novel, mostly because I can't stand Marianne's character.I still didn't like her very much in this novel; in fact, she was equally as annoying as her original. But that just meant that Ben H. Winters kept somewhat true to the characterisations in the novel and has a pretty good grasp of the novel's nuances and themes.

My only complaints about the novel are:
  • beyond a vague mention of a sea witch, we never find out exactly why Colonel Brandon received his affliction
  • Sub-Marine Station Beta is London, so mentioning that there is a city of London in the story makes it a tad more confusing. Why is it that people would want to go to London when there is Sub-Marine Station Beta?
  • Eliza William's ordeal, though the author tried to make it shocking and humourous, I actually thought it was sort of a let-down. I mean, I didn't find it all that villainous as compared to the events in the original book. Which made
If that wasn't exciting enough, Quirk Classics had also released a book trailer...

No comments: